We greatly value our children’s participation in school sports. There is an outdoor tarmacked area with it’s own Daily Mile Track and a large indoor hall. We have the use of the village sports field, directly opposite the school. We play football matches against local schools and we participate in athletics events, at both inter-village and district levels. Year 3 and Year 4 go swimming in the Spring term.
P.E. Curriculum – Intent, implementation and Impact
At Little Gaddesden School we aim for children to:
- Acquire and develop skills in a range of physical activities and contexts, performing with increasing competence and confidence.
- Develop positive attitudes to participation in physical activity.
- Make informed decisions about the importance of exercise in their lives.
The school will fully adhere to the aioms of the National Curriculum for Physical Education to ensure that all children:
- develop competence in a broad range of physical activities which will include games, gymnastics, dance, outdoor and adventurous activities, athletics and swimming
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Have fun and experience success in engage in competitive sports and activities Experience positive competition Develop good sporting attitudes
- lead healthy, active lives Have a foundation for lifelong physical activity, leaving primary school as physically active.
- Have opportunities to engage in extra-curricular activities before, during and after school, in addition to competitive sporting events. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also well-being.
P.E. is taught at Little Gaddesden Primary School as an area of learning in its own right as well as integrated where possible with other curriculum areas. It is taught in a minimum of two PE sessions a week.
- PE at Little Gaddesden aims to develop the knowledge, skills and capabilities necessary for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing in our children now and for their future. Physical fitness is an important part of leading a healthier lifestyle. It teaches self-discipline and that to be successful you must work hard, show resilience and have the determination to believe that anything can be achieved.
- P.E is taught as a basis for lifelong learning, where the children have access to a wide range of activities in the belief that if taught well and the children are allowed to succeed, then they will continue to have a physically active life. A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all children to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. At Little Gaddesden, we provide opportunities for children to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
- Teaching and Learning Teaching styles and strategies provide opportunities for children to participate in a range of activities and evaluate their own performance. Careful planning ensures time is spent in organising and resourcing lessons and activities. Children experience a range of opportunities to work individually, in pairs or in groups over time.
Teaching specific to Physical Education:
Lessons should include:
- A learning objective, with skills taught discreetly during the lesson.
- A warm up and recovery time appropriate to the activity.
- Opportunities to watch, listen and comment upon performances of other children and demonstration by teacher or capable child for children to master the correct techniques.
- Discussion to be kept simple emphasising one or two skills only, making sure that every child watches, listens and has a chance to offer a contribution.
Learning must be focused on individual pupils’ needs and abilities. Assessment for learning is a powerful tool for making sure that learning fits individual needs.
Children will be assessed each term using the school’s assessment criteria.
Sports Fixtures – Academic Year 2021-22
These will be updated once confirmed.
Local Sports Clubs Contact Details
Little Gaddesden Tennis Club
Sarah Brown firstname.lastname@example.org
Little Gaddesden Rangers Football Club
Little Gaddesden Cricket Club