About Our School
We are a Church of England village school, founded in 1854. Originally based in a back room at the nearby Bridgewater Arms, the school moved to its current site in 1858. Since then our buildings have grown considerably, and we are now a fully-equipped, modern primary school, with about 100 children aged between four and eleven. As a voluntary aided school, linked to the Diocese of St Albans, our popularity is based on our Christian values and our rural location.
The village of Little Gaddesden lies adjacent to the National Trust’s Ashridge Estate, with some 5,000 acres of open downland and woods, close to Ivinghoe Beacon, in an area of great natural beauty.
Ashridge Park belonged to the Bridgewater family, and many village houses were built in the nineteenth century by Lady Marion Alford. The present Ashridge House, rebuilt in 1814, now houses Ashridge Management College.
The School has a close association with the parish church, which is dedicated to St Peter & St Paul. The village hall, next to the school, is the venue for many clubs and activities, including the Pre-School Group. Opposite is the sports field, used by the school and by village teams. There is a village shop, with post office, and a lively pub, the Bridgewater Arms.
Several interesting characters have been closely associated with the school. Florence Wright was a pupil for eight years, and subsequently taught at the school for 46 years, from 1891 to 1937. Vicars Bell, headmaster between 1929 and 1963, was also a well-known author and lecturer. Among his books are two volumes about Little Gaddesden, an account of his career as a village schoolmaster and several detective novels. The school library is named after him, and it is kept stocked with books through his bequest to the school.